City Network is part of Iver AB (www.iver.se) and is a member of the ICG family
City Network is one of the leading European provider of IT infrastructure services based on Open Source. Our company provides public, compliant, private and hybrid cloud solutions based on OpenStack and have data centers around the world. We are a fast growing company & European leaders in infrastructure as a service. We love having fun and working hard. We live to get that smile on our customers face when we solve a problem or simply provide something better than expected. That’s in fact why we go to work the next day.
City Network is part of Iver , meaning that we have more than 1200 colleagues to support us in reaching our goals of becoming the primary European IaaS alternative.
About the Role :
We are looking for engineer(s) with experience in bare metal provisioning to join our Network and Infrastructure team at City Network. They will bridge a gap between operations and development. This is a great opportunity to work on bleeding-edge technology for a company striving for personal and team development.
You will report to a People and Process manager under the Technology and Services department.
About the team:
- We love Open source! We primarily use Open-source technologies and enjoy contributing back when we can.
- We work in an agile way, when it's relevant.
- We are disciplined when it comes to testing changes.
- We have fun at work. Work hard, play hard….
- We spend time to train new people who join the team and adjust how we work together via retrospectives. 10% of our working hours are dedicated to Education. You get to sit in the school bench or even hold the teacher stick yourself.
- Handle physical hardware lifecycle, from order to usage by other teams. This includes rack&stack (yourself if you like it! or through remote hands), configuring Baseboard management controllers (BMCs), provisioning the systems.
- As you are working within the network and infrastructure team, you will have to do handle physical hardware lifecycle for network gear too.
- Develop automation for bridging the virtual world with the physical datacenter world: automation for deploying, scaling and maintaining bare metal nodes primarily using Ansible. We like to automate as much as we can.
- Contribute in upstream projects
- Work with vendors, from knowing their products to fixing bugs in their BMCs firmware.
- Contribute in internal tooling for managing network and infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues in our cloud systems managing bare metal. We run Openstack with OSA, Ceph.
- Work with different teams on delivering their hardware on time.
- Take part in the on-call rotation. We have extensive monitoring and alerting in place.
- Investigate new open source tools and technologies to add new services or help improve our operational excellence.
- Contribute to improving our documentation and help train fellow co-workers on best deployment practices and support them in using the cloud.
- OOB management tools like IPMI/iDRAC/Redfish has no secrets for you.
- You know your way around hardware.
- Interested to follow hardware vendor technologies.
- You have experience of working in datacenters.
- You want to define our way of working for bare metal provisioning.
- You like Ansible and understand how it works.
- Experienced with procedural, object oriented or functional programming languages.
- Fluent communication skills in English.
- You have a European B driver license.
Good to have:
- You are able to contribute to python code or write it from the blank page.
- Knowledge of a python testing framework.
- Operations/deployment experience on the OpenStack platform, especially Ironic.
- Experience with CI/CD frameworks like Zuul or GitLab CI.
- Experience with optical transport networks
- Experience with Canonical's MaaS or cobbler.
- You understand what PDUs/power feeds are, have some experience with power management, etc.
- You think "quality", "efficiency" and "green".
Our selection process will consider prior experience and proven skills equal to a Master's degree.
- Genuinely interested in new technologies, software or hardware.
- Well-organised and structured.
What we offer:
- Full-time position with 6-months probationary period.
- Leave Policy : 6 weeks vacation.
- Remote work : Work from anywhere - From the EU and whenever you want, as long as you're working 40 hours a week in 5 days.
I'm interested. What's next?
We'd like to hear from you! We have a few questions we would like to ask you. You'll be able to apply for this position until 30th Jan 2022. We will start reviewing and inviting applications right away, so make sure you get yours in early.
Type of Employment : Full time position.
If you live in Sweden or Germany, you would be directly employed by City Network International AB or our German subsidiary.
If you live in any country other than Sweden or Germany (but within EU), we will enter into a contractor agreement as applicable to the legal situation in your country. If a contractor agreement doesn't suit you, we'll work with our group for possible alternative locations.
Salary and compensation will be negotiated during the interview process.
Location : Europe (Flexibility to work remotely).
We will accept applications from anywhere in the EU but at equal skills will prioritise those living in Germany.
Start Date : Immediate/at your earliest convenience.